Tuesday, July 29, 2008

In the Crib

I am continuing to look for new ideas to help Noah build trust and attach to us in healthy ways. One important way I've found is through physical touch. It is critical to the bonding process. Skin to skin contact not only promotes intimacy but it also builds trust. The warmth and gentleness a mother imparts to her child is so special. So I've done something the past two nights that has my kids in hysterics and maybe you will join them.

It is quite exhausting to hold a screaming, pinching, and kicking toddler as you lovingly rock him so I gave myself a break the past two nights and climbed into the crib with him. Yes, you read correctly. I gracefully leaped over the crib rail and, voila, I was staring into the wide, dark eyes of my bewildered son. He clearly did not want me near him (as evidenced by the scratches on my face.) He is obviously used to being left by himself at bedtime, hence, the self-soothing head rocking. 

Tonight we went through about twenty-five minutes of agony before we turned the corner. It was quite amazing actually. I lay beside him, sometimes holding him, sometimes not. I whispered my love and protection while he thrashed about, pinching, screaming, and pulling my hair (a new one.) And then he was still. He stuck his thumb in his pajama top collar, expertly twisting it so he could suck his cloth-covered thumb. He then took his other thumb, twisted his blanket around it and offered it to me. So there we lay, mother and son, each "sucking" a thumb in the calm after the storm. I asked him if he was ready to go "night-night" and he said "nigh-nigh" just as sweet as could be. We kissed and hugged several times. Then I gave him his nightly blessing. It goes like this:

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace" (Numbers 6: 24-26.)

One side note: Noah went from sitting to standing today without assistance!

2 comments:

Dena said...

Amazing.
You are doing such a great job with him. It has to be so exhausting. Praying for supernatural strength.
There are so many spiritual lessons for me in this. How many times I fight surrender, just like Noah!
Praying,
Dena

Ali said...

I'm praying for you, and I believe you're doing an amazing job as well. Keep doing what your doing :) 5 months ago when Daniel came home, I remember questioning myself, "What did I do?" Am I cut out for this? With the kicking and screaming and ranging tantrums. He was harmful to himself, and it made me cry to see him put himself through it. I had no support from our agency or pediatricians. But break through after 2 months of him being home, he became so loving to me. I was in Awwww. I know what you're going through is more than what we have conquered with Noah's medical issues on top of attachment as well. Just remember God brought your family together, and he is in the best of care now with your family. God Bless


Noah Leaves His Footprint in China

Noah Gets His Nails Trimmed

Take Out

Take Out