Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thank you!

Thank you to all of you who wrote or called to say that you are praying for us. It makes all the difference in the world! We are blessed to be surrounded by friends and family who truly care about us. Please continue to lift us up before our Heavenly Father.

Now for the update: We have connected with a wonderful therapist who, in turn, has connected us with the University of Minnesota's International Adoption Clinic. They have invited us to bring Noah for a more extensive assessment. The doctors at this clinic are highly specialized in diagnosing and treating internationally adopted children.  These are the doctors with whom other doctors consult. They are extremely well-versed in international adoption both professionally and personally as some of them have also adopted children from other countries.

We are still working out the details - appointments, insurance, travel expenses. I have a hard time believing this actually happening. I'm not sure if I should feel happy that we might get some more answers or scared that they think our situation is severe enough to warrant a visit. Regardless, I know that God is in control. I am grateful that I do not have to be the one to figure it all out!

One more thing, there is some speculation on the part of our therapist and the doctors with whom she has consulted that Noah may have Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). Naturally, this sounds very serious and we are extremely concerned. My personal belief is that if he does have FASD it is mild. He is such an inquisitive child and as the layers of fear and insecurity are slowly removed I see such potential in him. Granted, the fight-or-flight behaviors are still present but with decreasing frequency. Instead of Noah constantly operating out of a state of panic we are beginning to see moments where he is at rest and content.

We will continue to keep you updated. Please, please do not stop praying. We are utterly dependent on the strength that comes from God as our requests our presented to Him and He meets our needs.

1 comment:

Clint and Jennifer said...

You will be in our prayers. We too, have had more difficulty than we'd have ever expected this year, and while we've found a lot of help, there are still issues that need work. I am not able to share a lot of it on the blog out of respect for privacy, but I feel for you and the struggle to face the challenges with eyes wide open, and seeking help when you're not even sure what the issues really are.

My oldest son always quotes this verse from Proverbs, "In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." You have done the first part, I believe God will be faithful to do the rest.
It may not be easy, (boy is that an understatement!) but nothing of value ever is.

Jennifer


Noah Leaves His Footprint in China

Noah Gets His Nails Trimmed

Take Out

Take Out