Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Surgery Update

Noah's surgical procedure went well today. The actual operation took about 30 minutes with no complications. We left the house before 6 am and Noah was checked in and sedated shortly after 7 am. They gave him some "silly juice" prior to the anesthetic and he was just that - raising his eyebrows, reaching for unseen objects, and chewing on a plastic block as if it were a breakfast bar.

We were told that behaviors (especially temper tantrums) are sometimes exaggerated as the anesthetic wears off. Wow -were they ever! He was okay the first few minutes he was awake. Then he saw us and the screaming, pinching, biting, and hair pulling began. The nurses felt so bad for us. I'm pretty sure I'll require a hair transplant due to the amount that Noah yanked out this morning. We were quite the scene getting off the elevator to go to the car: I was struggling to hold Noah, the nurse was doing her best to release his hands from the death grip he had on my hair, Noah was screaming bloody murder, and Mark was balancing our belongings, including a red plastic fireman's hat that was precariously perched on top of his head. I'm sure we unnerved all prospective patients who were entering the hospital!

Noah is sleeping now and I think I'll take a nap too. What a day - and it's barely 10 o'clock!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless you! I'm glad the surgery went ok. I know you all must be tired. I'm praying for a lot of rest and calmness the remainder of the day.

Geer Family said...

As hard as the morning was, you will be thankful that you have it in writing now so that you will remember it for years to come...and I'm sure laugh at that point about it!


Noah Leaves His Footprint in China

Noah Gets His Nails Trimmed

Take Out

Take Out