I wrote the poem below for a wonderful friend who has recently gone through a great loss. She was describing her current season in life as the "winter of my soul." Her beautiful words inspired me to write "Winter Branches". I hope that those of you who are experiencing grief and loss during this Christmas season will find comfort in these words.
Winter Branches
Winter white, stark and bare.
These are the clothes of grief I wear.
Hard and cold, no life giving.
How can I go on living?
Dead leaves of autumn are covered by snow,
Their colors buried deep below.
But I know I've been given the promise of spring
Where all things are new - to this do I cling.
The tree that seems to be void of life now
Will soon display a wealth of green boughs.
The stark winter white of grief that I wear
Will put forth new buds of faith, hope, and care.

3 comments:
laura what a beautiful poem!!!! very heartfelt - you are a wonderful writer my dear! ;) blessing to you this holiday season. ;)
Tears. of course.
Love you.
Beautiful thoughts, beautifully expressed! So sorry for our loss of Noah in our family. I know you are a comfort to D and others like her.
Post a Comment